Professor Dr. Nowshad Amin
Professor Dr. Nowshad Amin,
Professor of Renewable Energy and Solar Photovoltaic Technology,
Institute of Sustainable Energy (ISE),
Universiti Tenaga Nasional (@UNITEN, The Energy University)
Jalan IKRAM-UNITEN, 43000 Kajang,
- Doctor of Philosophy, PhD (Electrical
and Electronic Engineering, Semiconductor Device, Solar Cell); Tokyo Institute of Technology (@TokyoTech), Tokyo, Japan, March 2001.
- Master of Engineering, MSc EE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Solar Photovoltaic Technology); Tokyo Institute of Technology (@TokyoTech), Tokyo, Japan, March 1998.
- Bachelor of Engineering, BsEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), Toyohashi University of Technology, Aichi, Japan, March 1996.
- Associate of Engineering (Diploma in Electrical Engineering); Gunma National College of Technology, Gunma, Japan, March 1994.
FIELD OF EXPERTISE:
Renewable Energy Resources, Solar Photovoltaic Technologies, Solar
Cells and PV systems, IC Technology, Nanotechnology.
(i) Served at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) since November 2006 till January 2018.
(ii) Served at Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia since November 2004 till Oct. 2006.
Among the courses taught at under-graduate level include:
Microelectronics, Microelectronic (IC) Fabrication, Alternative Energy
Technologies, Microelectronic Reliability, Advanced Microelectronic
Devices, Computer Organization and Architecture, Hardware & Computer
taught at post-graduate level: Advanced Integrated Circuit (IC)
packaging, Reliability Engineering, Nanomaterials.
energy resources; Semiconductor physics and devices; Optoelectronics;
Solar Cells; Thin film solar cell fabrication and characterization
(Cadmium telluride (CdTe) thin film solar cells, CZTS solar cells); PV
systems and applications etc.
ACADEMIC AND OTHER RELEVANT APPOINTMENTS:
- Head, PV Systems and Advanced Solar Cell Research Group of Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), UKM. (March 2008 - present)
- Senior Fellow, Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), UKM (Jan 2007 - present)
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Electrical, Electronics and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, UKM. (Feb 2009 ? Oct 2012)Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Electrical, Electronics and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, UKM. (Nov 2006 ? Feb. 2009)
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.(Nov 2004 ? Oct 2006)
- Research & Application Engineer, Freescale Semiconductor Japan Ltd., (May 2003 ? Nov 2004)
- Research Fellow, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of South Florida (USF), Tampa, Florida, USA. (April 2002 ? April 2003)
- Research & Application Engineer, Motorola Japan Ltd., Semiconductor Products Sector (March 2001 ? April 2002)
Head for 15 projects with total grant of USD 1,285,396.00.
Co-PI/investigator for 25 research topics with a total grant of more
than USD 7,905,714.00. Research collaboration and networking with Tokyo
Institute of Technology, Japan, University of South Florida, USA, King
Saud University, Saudi Arabia, QEERI of Qatar Foundation and others.
Research activities are in Solar Photovoltaics and Nanotechnology.
Over 60 national (Malaysia) and international (Qatar Foundation, Saudi National Grant NPST) grants. Some are given below:
- USA NSF-EAGER grant, June 2020
- Saudi NPST grant, July 2020
- MOSTI Techno Fund, Code: TF0106D010, July 2007
- MOSTI Techno Fund, Code: TF0109C012, July 2009
- Science Fund 03-01-02-SF0495, 2007.
- Science Fund 03-01-02-SF0385, 2007.
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RS-07-FRGS0005-2008.
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RS-06-FRGS0001-2007 7
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RRR1-02-FRGS0001-2006
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-026, 2007.
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-184, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-TK-08-16-058, 2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-TK-08-16-057, 2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-185, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-186, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-NBT-25-114/2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-TK-16-63/2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-BTT-29/2007
- Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) NPRP6-931-2-382
- UKM-MTDC Symbiosis Grant
(i) Supervised 22 postgraduate students for PhD (22 PhD continuing at present)
(ii) Supervised 50 postgraduate students for Masters degree (21 by Research & 29 by Project).
(iii) Supervised more than 50 undergraduate students for their final year thesis projects.
(i) Published over 200 articles in international peer reviewed journals.
Published over 200 articles in international proceedings, 36 articles
in regional and national proceedings, 4 abstracts in international
proceedings, and others.
(iii) Produced 6 books and 5 chapters for book.
Administrative / Academic Involvement and Social Work:
Coordinator of MSc (Microelectronics), Faculty of Engineering and Built
Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. (1 Sept. 2012 - 31 Aug.
- Committee member for more than 5 international and local conferences.
- In-charge of Thin Film Research and Application Lab (ECO HOUSE), 2008 - present
and Chairman of the "Midori Bangla Foundation", Scholarship and other
social welfare activity related welfare foundation in Bangladesh,
of the Technical Committee of the KnowledgeGRID Malaysia Initiative of
the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia. (April
Member & Chairman (once for 2 years), Advisor (once for 3 years) of
Bangladeshi Student on Japanese Ministry of Education Scholarship
(SHOSHI) in Japan; 1991-present.
(i) Filed 9 patents in Malaysia and USA.
(ii) Received 34 awards from international and regional bodies for invention and academic excellence.
(iii) Professional Membership: MIEEE, MIEICE, MINTEM, IAENG.
(iii) Head,PV Systems and Advanced Solar Cell Research Group under Nic-TK, UKM.
(iv) Associate fellow, Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI) and Fuel Cell institute, UKM.
(v) Received Commercialization fund from MTDC for patented Solar Charger.
(vi) Attended about 50 international & local conferences.
(vii) Attended more than 25 courses.
AFFILIATIONS TO PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES :
- Senior Member IEEE; The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019 onwards.
- Member IEEE; The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2007-2019.
of the Technical Committee of the KnowledgeGRID Malaysia Initiative of
the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia. (April 2008 ? present)
- Member of the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Since 2008.
- Member of INTEM (Institute Tenaga Malaysia); The institute of Energy, Malaysia (2005 to present)
- Member of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) (Since April 2010)
- Former Member, Japanese Applied Physics Academy, Japan, 1996-2001.
- Former Member of IEEE Student Division; (1999-2001)
EDITORIAL WORK, TECHNICAL EVALUATION & ASSESSMENT WORK:
wide experiences in technical evaluation and assessment work as Panel
Member of Intensive Research Priority Areas (Electronics, Semiconductor
packaging, Alternative Energy, Solar Photovoltaic technology). Also,
served as an External Examiner for several Post-Graduate Thesis and
Technical Reviewer for various International Journals and Conference
SERVICES TO THE COMMUNITY:
involved in IEEE, IEEE Malaysia, Malaysian Energy Institute (INTEM) and
is the founder of a voluntary social welfare organization named Midori
Bangla Foundation (provides scholarships to meritorious students in
Bangladesh since 1993).