Professor Dr. Nowshad Amin
Dept. of Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (@The National University of Malaysia)
43600 Bangi, Selangor, MALAYSIA
Tel:+603-8921 6325; Fax:+603-8911 8359
- Doctor of Philosophy, PhD (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Semiconductor Device, Solar Cell); Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, March 2001.
- Master of Engineering, MSc EE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Solar Photovoltaic Technology); Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, March 1998.
- Bachelor of Engineering, BsEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), Toyohashi University of Technology, Aichi, Japan, March 1996.
- Associate of Engineering (Diploma in Electrical Engineering); Gunma National College of Technology, Gunma, Japan, March 1994.
FIELD OF EXPERTISE:
Microelectronics, Renewable Energy Resources, Solar Photovoltaic Technologies, Solar Cells and PV systems, IC Technology, Nanotechnology.
(i) Affiliated with Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) since November 2006.
(ii) Among the courses taught at under-graduate level include: Microelectronics, Microelectronic (IC) Fabrication, Alternative Energy Technologies, Microelectronic Reliability, Advanced Microelectronic Devices, Computer Organization and Architecture, Hardware & Computer Interfacing.
(iii) Courses taught at post-graduate level: Advanced Integrated Circuit (IC) packaging, Reliability Engineering.
Alternative energy resources; Semiconductor physics and devices; Optoelectronics; Solar Cells; Thin film solar cell fabrication and characterization (Cadmium telluride (CdTe) thin film solar cells, CZTS solar cells); PV systems and applications etc.
ACADEMIC AND OTHER RELEVANT APPOINTMENTS:
- Head, PV Systems and Advanced Solar Cell Research Group of Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), UKM. (March 2008 - present)
- Senior Fellow, Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI), UKM (Jan 2007 - present)
Associate Professor, Dept. of Electrical, Electronics and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, UKM. (Feb 2009 – Oct 2012)
Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Electrical, Electronics and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, UKM. (Nov 2006 – Feb. 2009)
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.(Nov 2004 – Oct 2006)
- Research & Application Engineer, Freescale Semiconductor Japan Ltd., (May 2003 – Nov 2004)
- Research Fellow, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of South Florida (USF), Tampa, Florida, USA. (April 2002 – April 2003)
- Research & Application Engineer, Motorola Japan Ltd., Semiconductor Products Sector (March 2001 – April 2002)
Project Head for 15 projects with total grant of USD 1,285,396.00. Co-PI/investigator for 25 research topics with a total grant of more than USD 7,905,714.00. Research collaboration and networking with Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, University of South Florida, USA, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia, QEERI of Qatar Foundation and others. Research activities are in Solar Photovoltaics and Nanotechnology.
Over 60 national (Malaysia) and international (Qatar Foundation, Saudi National Grant NPST) grants. Some are given below:
- MOSTI Techno Fund, Code: TF0106D010, July 2007
- MOSTI Techno Fund, Code: TF0109C012, July 2009
- Science Fund 03-01-02-SF0495, 2007.
- Science Fund 03-01-02-SF0385, 2007.
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RS-07-FRGS0005-2008.
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RS-06-FRGS0001-2007 7
- Fundamental Research Grant UKM-RRR1-02-FRGS0001-2006
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-026, 2007.
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-184, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-TK-08-16-058, 2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-TK-08-16-057, 2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-185, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-GUP-BTT-07-29-186, 2007
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-NBT-25-114/2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-TK-16-63/2008
- UKM GUP Research Grant UKM-OUP-BTT-29/2007
- Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) NPRP6-931-2-382
- UKM-MTDC Symbiosis Grant
(i) Supervised 11 postgraduate students for PhD (22 PhD continuing at present)
(ii) Supervised 47 postgraduate students for Masters degree (18 by Research & 29 by Project).
(iii) Supervised more than 45 undergraduate students for their final year thesis projects.
(i) Published over 77 articles in international peer reviewed journals.
(ii) Published over 157 articles in international proceedings, 34 articles in regional and national proceedings, 4 abstracts in international proceedings, and others.
(iii) Produced 25 manuscripts.
(iv) Produced 4 books and 1 chapter for book.
Administrative / Academic Involvement and Social Work:
- Program Coordinator of MSc (Microelectronics), Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. (1 Sept. 2012 - 31 Aug. 2014)
- Committee member for more than 5 international and local conferences.
- In-charge of “Thin Film Research and Application Lab (ECO HOUSE)”, 2008 – present
- Founder and Chairman of the “Midori Bangla Foundation”, Scholarship and other social welfare activity related welfare foundation in Bangladesh, 1993-present.
- Member of the Technical Committee of the KnowledgeGRID Malaysia Initiative of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia. (April 2008 –).
- Founding Member & Chairman (once for 2 years), Advisor (once for 3 years) of Bangladeshi Student on Japanese Ministry of Education Scholarship (SHOSHI) in Japan; 1991-present.
(i) Filed 8 patents in Malaysia and USA.
(ii) Received 34 awards from international and regional bodies for invention and academic excellence.
(iii) Professional Membership: MIEEE, MIEICE, MINTEM, IAENG.
(iii) Head,PV Systems and Advanced Solar Cell Research Group under Nic-TK, UKM.
(iv) Associate fellow, Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI) and Fuel Cell institute, UKM.
(v) Received Commercialization fund from MTDC for patented Solar Charger.
(vi) Attended about 50 international & local conferences.
(vii) Attended more than 25 courses.
AFFILIATIONS TO PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES :
Member IEEE; The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2007-present.
Member of the Technical Committee of the KnowledgeGRID Malaysia Initiative of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia. (April 2008 – present)
Member of the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Since 2008.
Member of INTEM (Institute Tenaga Malaysia); The institute of Energy, Malaysia (2005 to present)
Member of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) (Since April 2010)
Former Member, Japanese Applied Physics Academy, Japan, 1996-2001.
Former Member of IEEE Student Division; (1999-2001)
EDITORIAL WORK, TECHNICAL EVALUATION & ASSESSMENT WORK:
Possess wide experiences in technical evaluation and assessment work as Panel Member of Intensive Research Priority Areas (Electronics, Semiconductor packaging, Alternative Energy, Solar Photovoltaic technology). Also, served as an External Examiner for several Post-Graduate Thesis and Technical Reviewer for various International Journals and Conference Proceedings.
SERVICES TO THE COMMUNITY:
Actively involved in IEEE, IEEE Malaysia, Malaysian Energy Institute (INTEM) and is the founder of a voluntary social welfare organization named Midori Bangla Foundation (provides scholarships to meritorious students in Bangladesh since 1993).